Washington, District Of Columbia

I was worried when I first saw the negative reviews about Primerica. I saw the titles and my butt clinched because I recently joined them even though I didn't drink the kool-aid.

But then I took the time to read some of the complaints and I realized the only people who have a bad opinion of Primerica are people whose opinion doesn't matter at all.

There are typically 2 types of good jobs out there. There are EASY jobs and jobs that PAY WELL. Sometimes you can find a job that isn't easy and the pay sucks, but we're talking about good jobs.

Working for Primerica is NOT an 'easy' job but it can be a good job. IF you are willing to work. Anyone who doesn't want to get dirty, who doesn't want to do their own thing, Primerica isn't for them.

People like that belong in an office or somewhere else with a boss telling them what to do all the time because they can't think for themselves.

The amount of money in Citi's bank account proves they aren't out to steal your PENNIES. I'm sure one of the corporate top dogs just can't wait for Joe Smith to throw in his $199 (which in some places, like here, isn't even that much) so they can buy their next Yacht.

And if you can't afford $199 for the OPPORTUNITY to do something more with your life, whatever you're doing now isn't working anyways.

Comments

Well known as a fraud and a scam. All of the positive reviews posted here are fake. Stay away!!

@FraudHammer

Wow buddy sorry you are so negative. Wish you the best.

I have been fortunate enough to meet many successful people in this industry, including myself.

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

Hahahaha this world is full of SO many negative, pessimistic, idiots that want something for nothing.

But what really gets me is so many people will get online, talk a bunch of *** they know little to nothing about, and try and put doubt into another persons mind and possibly ruin a legitimate opportunity to help them reach their goals and dreams. Have you ever heard the story of 2 crabs in a bucket? go look it up! why is it people always want to help pull people back down. Not everyone out there are pansies and quitters.

So now that most of you had something negative to say I get to say something negative back. 'Sparkie' love the post " blah blah blah I would rather sit at home looking for a job being productive" cracks me up. SPARKIE YOU SHOULD DO JUST THAT, THANK GOD NO ONE HAD TO WASTE THEIR TIME INTERVIEWING SUCH A STUD. keep looking for that job cause we will always need our drive through help at taco bell.

Then we have Howard that says "95% of people don't make it in primerica". spoken like a true champion. Let me guess you were part of the 95 percentile. let me ask you a question Howey. do u own a gym membership? Then why are you still fat? probably cause it takes a little time and effort, maybe a little passion and commitment huh. You didnt think you were just magically going to get in shape did you. WARNING WARNING GOLDS GYM IS A SCAM!!!

Last but not least we have the professor by the name of "Primerica truth" nice name. Do you not want credit for your elaborate mis-informed post? i dont know where to even begin with this person. There were so many things inside your novel that proved you were never actually a Primerican agent. ( if you were what was your solution number and state your lic was held) cause you being the top producer in every product in the state would know those things are easily looked up on POL, Once again a no name wants to bash without having all the facts. Plus there is no way in *** you could of even passed background, you don't even know how to spell your own name. I really would love to go over all your data so that i could help you inform people on the truth rather than your independent agent no ill will to that primerica company *** you like to put on.

I found this forum trying to look up facts about life insurance and all I found were facts that most of you that wrote on this page are fools. Thank god there are people like m_yates09 that actually take the time to educate us on facts. Problem is most of the people that need to read her info probably don't know how to read.

folks please don't listen to the so called professionals that get on here and write a bunch of ***. myself included. Do your own EDUCATED research find out for yourself what Primerica is really about.

believe me I know my post here is about three years late but i am wiritting this for the Primerican that is sick of the Haters or the future primericans that just want a shot at a better future. This Company Changed my life and I am thankful for everything they have given us. I AM A PRIMERICAN AND *** PROUD.

I promise my last little Jab to "NO NAME professor " i know when you worte this you couldn't predict the future but this is also why it cracks me up to read this garbage. The company you say is a scam went public april 1 2010. Primerica was the most successful IPO in 2010 and 8 months later our stock price has almost doubled. we are the largest financial service distribution comapny in North america and while all the so called giants like your favorite AIG were going bankrupt and having to be bailed out we were going public and changing the history of financial services. DONT BELIEVE ME LOOK IT UP symbol (PRI ). FACTS ARE THE FACTS

BRETT

Thank you, so much I was in the process of joing them but I make really good money where I am at and this would be a good pay cut for me, I was going to do this part time, but I might as well sell avon, or mary kay. I did not read the IBA but I know now it all bull, I am only out a few dollars, I chalk it up to read things before you sign.

well since I am one of those "stars" as Primerica calls it, hire everyone and you will eventually find a star and was about to get my RVP statues and left before I got it as I didn't see it fair that my RVP got to take my strogest leg which I worked my *** off developing with no help from him. I am sure I can speak from experience.

I am in Canada and did very wellin Primerica. but my eyes did open up, you see that what happens to people who actually want to learn and want to develope and not just follow a system set up so that anyone can do it.

I wanted what was best for all my clients and not only offer them a limited product and only be able to get it from one company.

I am not a broker and I am able to pick from more then 1 company when it comes to my clients needs, I can work with as many insurance companies as I want.

This whole thing if you work for one company and can only sell their products are ***.

I work for all the major insurance companies in canada now and able to pick from each company for a client, best rate best package for my clients needs.

Primerica is NOT a scam, but it does give you tunnel vision and makes you stop moving forward.

Look at Primerica as Grade 1, and once you pass and open your eyes you can move on to way better things.

SInce leaving Primerica doing the same job I have earned double the salary I got with Primerica, and I was a 6 digit figure with Primerica.

I actually do get paid now what I AM WORTH, and when being a broker I don't start at 25%, I actually start at 100% as I don't have to share a commission with anyone.

Yes I have a downline and I get bonus for how well my team does, but they get 100% of their commission also.

not %25 for them and %70 for me

how friggen fair is that???? when the downline did all the work???

#12024

this is the first thing that i've read that made sense to me. thanx for not being a complete twit and actually writing something worth reading!

true: can't get something for nothing.

also true: " the only people putting primerica down are the people's who's opinions don't matter"

Just shut up man. Primerica wasted a year of my life.

I make more now than most reps will ever make in their entire careers in primerica. ***!

This is a COMPLETELY honest evaluation of Primerica Financial Services (PFS). I have been with the company for over four years now, and have had, in my opinion, a great deal of success. I will spare the details of my situation to avoid being accused of being bias, but I will be the first person to tell you Primerica doesn’t get everything right (Who does?). The problem with this site and others like it, it often attracts the stupidest people to them… both for and against PFS. There are very few intellectual comments on these posts, but I will give an honest critique of one of the more popular and well-written anti-PFS threads.

Let’s get a few things clear up front:

1. Primerica is NOT perfect. Big surprise… nothing is. Furthermore, if you feel going to a website specifically designed for *** at whatever you happen to disagree with is a valid source of information, try searching for a few other areas of your life:

* Search for a website designated to bashing Christianity and see if there’s some valid information on those sites. “Prayer didn’t work for me… Christianity is a scam... Tithing is just a way for greedy preachers to get YOUR money!” These are not my words, but they are words that are out there. Are they true? Maybe… maybe not. I choose not to believe them. My point is if you’re activity LOOKING for negativity, trust me, the world is in no short supply of it. So my advice with ANYTHING… look at both sides fairly.

2. There are a LOT of people in PFS that shouldn’t be. That’s kind of a given, also. Call me an elitist, but I feel WAY too many people are given an opportunity with PFS that shouldn’t be. The advantage with PFS is the company is not going to pre-determine your inability to be successful based on your lack of a Masters in finance. However, many managers in the past have interpreted that as ‘We’ll hire anyone and everyone.’ That’s not the case with me. I turn down *someone* virtually every month… sometimes several people in a month.

When someone comes on board in PFS and they are an ***… or have no work ethic… or have no ethics… they give the company a bad name, and of course are often the first ones to come onto sites like these and say, “It’s a scam!”

Is everyone who doesn’t make it in PFS this way? Certainly not… but from my experience it IS the ones who generally suck in one form or anyone that are the most outspoken about how it’s the company’s fault.

In my opinion, PFS would have a better quality of business, as well as a better name, if these people never came into the picture. I am very careful and particular with the people I choose to hire… and I make it very clear to them up front, so there is NO confusion:

* It’s hard work

* Don’t expect to get paid until you’re licensed; don’t expect to get licensed without going through a few months of training

* If you listen and do what I say, I WILL make sure you make money if you stick with it and stay tough.

* Don’t say ANYTHING about products you’re not licensed in / with.

I have as much to cover my own *** as my new associates do in terms of compliance, and client confidentiality. There are no tricks… my new reps know what they are getting into. Again, not everyone does that… many ‘recruit’ on hype and these great marshmallow-cloud dreams that, while they may be true, are somewhat deceiving when you forget to bring them back down to reality about the position. I DO feel that anyone I bring on board fails mainly due to their own lack of follow-through and work ethic… and because they read garbage on these sites like these.

Again, not everyone conducts business this way… but I do, and I am very proud of it. I am very real and very fair, and truly work very hard to ensure those who show up and are dedicated succeed. Bottom line.

3. Primerica is NOT a scam. Primerica is NOT a pyramid. This one REALLY irks me. People, let’s get some facts down before you ramble on about so-called ‘facts’ that are CLEARLY not true. So let’s get some actually facts down on paper:

* Pyramids are illegal, and consist of a system set-up in a way that ONLY allows people to make money from recruiting… systems that can IN NO WAY make money selling products.

* Primerica is a Brokerage… just like:

- A Real Estate Brokerage

- An Investment Brokerage

- A Travel Agency

- A Bank

Don’t like the fact that your manager makes money off your success / business? TOO BAD. WELCOME TO AMERICA. Take a look at your job… the owner’s making more money off your efforts that you are. If that’s not the case, be expecting a pink slip. What about in real estate… an agent sells a house and makes 3%... THE BROKER MAKES 3%! For some of you, this is your opportunity to shout “OMG!!! SCAM!!!” But that’s just business in a capitalistic society. If you don’t like it, move to a communistic country and try that for a while.

4. The fact that Primerica markets loans, insurance, and investments means it is regulated by THREE SEPARATE industries. Guess what… I think somewhere in all that regulation, if there WAS anything illegal going on, they’d find it.

5. Smart people don’t judge an entire company / entity / organization by a select few isolated instances. Go up to a Catholic sometime and say, “Hey isn’t your religion based on molesting little boys?” Did I just type that? Yes I did. But that’s EXACTLY what some of you are doing… “Oh, look at this ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE.” Okay… refer to point one. Primerica, like EVERY OTHER BUSINESS, ENTITY, and ORGANIZATION ON THE PLANET is not perfect. I’ll be the first to say it. And some of our reps are FAR from perfect. But look at the company as a whole before you make ridiculous judgments on a small collection of instances, hand-picked for their negativism.

Now then, onto the non-bias counterpoints of this thread I’ve seen in a lot of places…

1. Primerica is NOT the largest seller of Term Life Insurance … AIG is … look it up.

* Verdict: Fuzzy. AIG certainly sells a lot of term insurance. No question about that. And current numbers are often hard to obtain. But here’s how it breaks down:

AIG sells more domestic (In the US only) term policies a year than anyone else.

PFS sells more domestic face amount (total coverage) a year than anyone else.

If you combine their international business numbers into the equation, PFS does sell more term policies than AIG.

2. It is way MORE expensive then most Term coverage outside of (State Farm and Allstate) … so if you are TRULY trying to save people money … why not find them the lowest instead of just what you have to offer. Remember you are trying to SAVE them money. Some Return of Premium Products are less expensive then Primerica Term. You are hurting your client. After knowing that how can you still sell it.

*Verdict: False. Some key points here are:

In my experience, YES *some* PFS term policies are more expensive than those from another company… but it doesn’t happen often. PFS has VERY competitive term rates… also, PFS is one of only 3 companies in the US to offer 35-year LEVEL TERM… which can be an excellent buy if you’re really young or starting a new family.

Also, you must keep in mind if a company markets ANY form of a whole life or cash value policy, it’s often the first product they push. Even if you get a competitive term policy from a non-PFS carrier, be expected for the constant attempt to convert or ‘upgrade’ you to a cash value policy. If you stay strong over the years, in *some*, but no most, cases, sure… you could save a couple bucks here or there… I admit that. But for *MOST* clients, PFS term will be the cheapest, and you’ll never be pressured to convert to a cash value policy.

3. What would you do if your client is declined by Primerica. Tell them they don’t deserve life insurance then. You see this is what opened my eyes up, because my father was turned down by Primerica. Was I suppose to tell him “Oh, well .. too bad”…. No, I did what any good son would do, I started looking at other companies and found he could be covered with term insurance by them, for less then what Primerica was going to charge.

*Verdict: False. Oh yeah, that’s EXACTLY what I do. “Sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Client, looks like God hates you, and you don’t deserve life insurance after all.” Please. I hope that if you’re reading all this, you can see that this author clearly had a bias negative opinion of PFS. Never ONCE have I EVER heard of telling a client ‘Too bad’ and walking away. Does it happen? Oh, I’m sure it has, but what this poster has failed to mention is a clause in ALL financial institutions, companies, and positions called ‘Selling Away.’ You see, even if you WANTED to try to help this client find something that would work for them, it’s illegal. And that’s NOT Primerica’s rule… that’s the INDUSTRY’S rule. It’s simply a conflict of interest, and the industry frowns deeply on this… REGARDLESS of what company you represent.

This poster really takes industry rules and standards and twists them to make Primerica sound like the bad guy. PFS is NOT the bad guy. Primerica and Prudential set the confidentiality and compliance standards that the REST OF THE INDUSTRY has to follow. On the contrary, the reason some agents from other companies *would* help you do this is not because they’re swell guys, but rather because they BREAK THE LAW. Primerica abroad is one of the best companies in the North America finance industry to follow and maintain compliance.

If a client of mine happened to have this situation, by LAW I can only say:

“Mr. and Mrs. Client. I have the documentation we sent in for your insurance coverage, and it looks like at this time we were unable to provide you with the proper coverage you need at this time. By law, I am prohibited to assist you in searching for another company to provide this coverage, but I hope that the education I was able to provide helps you determine the appropriate coverage you need, and I strongly suggest looking exclusively for a term policy, for the reasons I have already shared with you.”

DON’T LET SOMEONE TELL YOU PFS IS UNCARING BECAUSE WE FOLLOW THE LAW. We do care. I care. But the law is the law, and I can’t help any future clients if I get my license revoked.

4. Term is the right product for 95% of people (sorry not 100%), the problem is you only sell Term which is great but what do you do when you run across a person that is in the Top 5% … Also think about it … aren’t you trying to get all your clients and yourself to that Top 5% … what do you get when you are there?

*Verdict: COMPLETELY FALSE. I love it when cash value agents (which I question if this poster might be) say, “Term’s not right for everyone” but then cannot think of a SINGLE LEGITAMENT example of when a cash value policy would be a better fit.

Some may say, “Well, what if the client has a lot of debt, and is old, and already has a whole life policy in force, and is no longer insurable?”

Yeah… okay. In that specific example, there’s not a lot anyone can do, can they? Does that make it right? NO. Some people are just screwed because they’ve made some poor choices in life before we were able to sit down with them. Just because we’re too late to help them does not make this right.

That’s like saying, “Well, what if the house is on fire and no one has a hose, and the roads are too icy for the fire department to get there in time? THEN can I run in to save my cat?” Yeah, in that rather unlikely and very specific example, sure… but that doesn’t mean playing with matches in the first place was the right decision.

The point is cash value is ***. That’s not just PFS saying it… read what articles have been published in the Wall Street Journal, or Forbes, or Smart Money, or MSN Money, or any of the other third-party material from Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman. The fact is there are mountains of published articles, journals, and studies about what an absolute scam (for those who like using that word) the cash value industry is. If cash value is so great, why is that they had to muzzle the FTC?

I suggest doing your own search on what the Federal Trade Commission had to say about Cash Value Life Insurance in 1976 and 1985.

5. You are taught with your mortgages to say “Interest Rates do not matter” or “Ours are calculated differently” … If it doesn’t matter then why not give them a competitive one. I also dare you to put that in writing, Home Office Compliance would be down your throat quick because they know it is not true… so they don’t want it in writing.

*Verdict: True… Sort of. This guy (girl) is completely dead-on about this. Give him some props… he makes a good point here. PFS compliance would NEVER want someone to put into writing “Interest Rate doesn’t matter”… because it does.

However, from first-hand experience, I can tell you about multiple times I have done a re-finance with a client, showed them how to properly apply bi-weekly payments (and it DOES matter how soon the payments are posted for this to work) and knock down a 30-year mortgage in 18 years simply by having that extra 13th month payment in there. (There are 52 weeks in a year… if you make ½ your mortgage payment every 2 weeks, you’ll have two months where you actually pay 3 payments every year… and hence, it’s like paying an extra month’s worth in principle every year.)

To my knowledge, the $.M.A.R.T. loans (Primerica’s refinance loans) are the ONLY loans to include three VERY important factors:

*Payments are posted the SAME DAY they are made every time.

*The loans are already able to handle bi-weekly payments with no additional charge… in FACT if you set your loan up this way, .25% is knocked OFF your total interest rate. They give you a DISCOUNT for making the arrangements to pay your loan of early.

*They give you the education you need to understand the bi-weekly system, as well as to see its value.

Because of these factors, they charge a higher interest rate. Is that right or wrong? Eh. It’s business. We could argue this point for hours. However, let’s talk about the examples when PFS with put IN WRITING that re-financing with them and making these bi-weekly payments will save a client $75,000 in interest dollars over the next 30 years, and will have the client out of debt 12 years sooner than they are currently on track to accomplish… my question is this: Faced with facts ON PAPER… if we can re-finance, save them $75,000 and 12 years… do you think most clients even CARE if our interest rate is 2 points above what they currently have? No. Never a single time for me, anyway.

Does interest rate matter? Sure it does. But when put into proper perspective in relationship to interest dollars coming out of your pocket, and the total amount of time you’re going to be in debt… most people find interest rate to be a lot less of a big deal.

*KNOW THIS: If you shop for a loan looking only at interest rate and monthly payments, more than likely, YOU’RE GOING TO GET SCREWED. Don’t believe that? Take a close look at our current housing crisis… most of these sub-prime borrowers received great interest rates and low monthly payments…a t least, for a while. The interest rate on an interest-only loan is normally a LOT lower than a fixed loan… and the payments are often much less, also… but guess when an interest-only loan is designed to pay off? NEVER.

It is the total COST (in dollars) of the loan, and the total TIME (in years) it takes to pay off the debt that determine the true value of a loan. If all you look at is interest rate and monthly payment, you’re more than likely going to be screwed.

But yeah… I guess I’ll give this guy a point here. Interest rate does matter… it’s just third or fourth on the list. PFS will teach our clients what REALLY matters in terms of a loan.

6. With your investments … the market is down right now … am I suppose to sink money in an investment I know is going to go down right away …. That’s right Primerica has annuities now … even though just a couple of years ago annuities were “evil”.

*Verdict: FALSE. Man, has this guy ever heard of Dollar Cost Averaging? For the *** of it, look up Dollar Cost Averaging and see what Warren Buffet thinks of that strategy.

As long as you’re in an investment with a proven track record and stable management, you end up making MONEY during the ‘down times’… because you’re purchasing shares at a discount. When douche-bags like this guy freak out when the investments are “going down”, they LOSE MONEY. Remind me, is the classic first rule of Wall Street “Buy High, Sell Low?” No. But if you invest money in a fund or annuity, and the next month it takes a dip, so you sell your shares… guess what brilliant tactic you’ve just executed.

YES… you will want to do plenty of your own research in terms of what makes a mutual fund or annuity a stable and solid investment… but listening to this guy talk about investments is just plain rubbish. Again, don’t take my word on it… look up ‘Dollar Cost Averaging’ and see what well-informed, third-party references have to say about it. Investing a set amount of money every month is a great way to build wealth: Either your share value goes up, or you get a discount on the shares you buy that month. It’s a win-win.

7. A client’s money is sacred to them … why would they sink it into a company with so much negative press, it scares them …. Why do it …. When they can get the same thing for less with less negative remarks…. For all the agents who say that is just “some” agents that act like “that” …. They represent YOUR company and because the RVPs don’t care what type of people they are as long as they have $199 (now $99) so the RVP can win the next contest.

*Verdict: False. I’m really trying to give this guy the benefit of doubt, but he’s so off-mark with some of these comments. In all fairness, sure… some of our Regional Vice Presidents act like that. I’m very sorry about that… they DO give our company a bad name, and I wish they were terminated. But, again… not all of them act that way. In fact, I would say a majority are on the same page I am on the topic.

However, to ask, “Why would you invest in a company with so much bad press?” is a pretty lame argument. Again, I refer to Christianity… and how ‘unpopular’ it was during its rise. Perhaps we’re so ‘unpopular’ because there are so many companies doing business wrong, and we’re the only ones doing it right.

What’s right is not always popular. I’m prepared for that. I have the opportunity to go work for another company… one with less ‘bad press’… but my ethics really do keep me in Primerica. That’s a good enough answer for me… perhaps ethics is not as important as popularity to some. Certainly if it was, we would not see the bullying / hazing that we do in the American school systems.

But Most of you aren’t in Primerica because of the products, you are in it for the business. Because you think there is nothing is better then owning your Primerica business. It is definitely better then Corporate America that is for sure. Here is where I look at you like teenage kids with your first beat up car speeding around town like you own a brand new Mercedes and I tell you to “slow down and think” .. you will either listen or will crash and I will say “I told you so”

How many of you TRULY read and understood your IBA contract when you signed it? Let me go over some things before I enlighten about your IBA contract:

*Verdict: True. I completely full-hearted agree with this guy on this point. More emphasis should be made on making a new associate understand his or her IBA. I will point out this IS something I do, but it wasn’t done for me when I filled mine out.

This is an area where PFS should certainly approve.

1. How can you tell a new recruit that you can make a lot of money before you actually do it. Doesn’t that feel wrong to you?

*Verdict: False. My success does not cap those who I hire. In fact, the company is littered with dozens of stories of just that. Telling a new associate “You can succeed here. You can make lots of money.” IS TRUE… regardless if I have or haven’t done it personally. Now, in my case, I HAVE done that… It’s a lot easier to communicate about how to make money when you’ve actually done that. Certainly.

2. The money you are spending for your IBA DOES NOT pay for your license… it pays for processing and your Licensing class …. Most states don’t require a class why does everyone have to pay for it.

*Verdict: True… sort of. It’s funny how PFS will be called a ‘bad guy’ because we hire school teachers and nurses and teach them how to become financial managers AND AT THE SAME TIME are criticized for making our pre-licensing classes a mandatory requirement. In my opinion, ALL FINANCIAL COMPANIES should require mandatory training. I mean, you’re going to complain our reps aren’t knowledgeable enough about the industry, and then complain about how we make training mandatory before they get licensed? Wow… congrats on your logic.

3. Why can’t a new recruit go get your licenses BEFORE you sign your IBA?

*Verdict: False. THEY CAN. It’s happened. I’ve recruited former State Farm agents. They had their licenses and came on board… and guess what…they DIDN’T have to pay for their pre-licensing class or materials because the ALREADY HAD A LICENSE.

I chalk this comment up to sheer ignorance, because PFS is set up so you CAN get licensed before coming on board.

4. Why can’t new recruit go see clients AFTER you are fully licensed and then sign ALL transactions? I know why this is the case …. Most agents are not making money so they need to sign it to make money and they are afraid the recruit will quit.

*Verdict: False. I know this one first-hand… because that’s EXACTLY what I did. I didn’t go on any appointments until after I was fully-licensed for this exact reason. So, the answer is, once again, YOU CAN DO THAT.

Now, here’s the reason we encourage new associates to get out in the field A.S.A.P. rather than waiting to get fully licensed:

Unless you are absolutely sure this is the line of work you want to enter (which I was) your licenses are going to be a big up-front investment… AS IT IS FOR ANY FINANCIAL COMPANY YOU GO WORK FOR. We like to prepare our new reps for this line of work BEFORE they have sunk their money into some licenses they will never use again. (After four appointments, what if the rep decides this line of work is just not ‘for him’?)

Also, it does help many new associates to have some field experience in coordination with textbook teachings to properly put together the pieces of the industry and our products.

I would also like to state that if we made it mandatory to get fully-licensed BEFORE entering the field, how THAT, TOO could label us the ‘bad guy.’

Can’t you see the forums spammed with “I spent $853 on licenses that I used for a month!” ?

The truth is you have a CHOICE in the matter. You can do what I did… which is exactly what this guy is suggesting you *can’t* do… or you can jump in the field first to see if this is even something you will WANT to do as a career.

5. Why beat around the bush when saying the name Primerica ….. you are taught to say “Division of Citigroup” …. “Member of Citigroup” ….. “Largest Financial Services Distribution Hub” ….. “PFS” ….. anything but Primerica … it goes back to the bad rep .. and the fear that the new person will Google the name Primerica

*Verdict: True. He’s right about this one. Primerica reps are taught to say ‘A division of Citi’… but I don’t think that’s so much a ‘avoiding bad press’ move as it is a ‘People know Citi’ move. Now, in some parts of the country, perhaps it *is* more of a move made to avoid bad press. But I’m not ashamed to tell someone I’m with Primerica… and I have had all forms of responses.

MOST people (I estimate 60%) , in my experience, have never heard of us… one way or another. After that category, (About 25-35%) the second most-likely group of people is those that have heard of us, and have a favorable opinion of us. And THEN there are the groups (About 15-5%) that have an unfavorable opinion of PFS… be it they or someone they know was ‘in it’… or ‘did that thing for a while’… or enemy agents. But it truly is a rarity to run into those people… don’t believe all the negative press… we do NOT have that bad of a reputation at all. As for me, if someone does fall into the last category, I know enough to stand my ground… I’m not afraid of a confrontation… even if it is in the line of a KFC. 

6. People who leave Primerica are not quitters or couldn’t make it at Primerica … people making six figures have left Primerica for better opportunities … you just don’t know they exist.

*Verdict: Fuzzy. While there are certainly those who leave PFS for better opportunity, I would say a vast majority leave because it is either too hard, or they listen to someone who is negative, or doesn’t have their facts straight, and are convinced PFS is a ‘scam’. Again, refer to point three of my opening arguments.

And, yes, I DO know of RVPs that leave PFS for, what they believe, are ‘bigger and better opportunities.’ And while they are not advertised, give me a company who DOES advertise those people.

“Hey, guys… gather ‘round. I wanted to let you all know Joe has left our company to go work for a company that he believes will treat him better and pay him more money. Okay, back to work!”

Again, no business does that… but for some reason, PFS is targeted as a ‘bad guy’ for this example. Rubbish.

7. You would NEVER be able to recruit a person who is already licensed and knows what questions to ask.

*Verdict: Completely False. Again, I have recruited State Farm agents PERSONALLY. It can be done, it has been done… the problem is ethics have to be more important than money, and to most cash value agents, that’s simply not the case.

8. Citigroup (not in the best financial shape right now and has Abu Dhabi is now the largest shareholder) is looking to sell Primerica …. FACT … check out the Wall Street Journal March 28th 2008 Section C … “Citigroup has a major retail presence in just a handful of major cities, including New York, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco. Primerica Financial Services, which sells life insurance and mutual-fund products, is up for sale but isn't attracting buyers, say people familiar with the matter.”

*Verdict: Fuzzy. I have looked hard for this one, but I could not find facts to either prove or deny this claim.

Now on to the IBA…. The moment you sign your IBA these things happen:

1. You become a captive agent ….. not allowed to sell anything Primerica does not offer …. Hand cuffing you to fully help your client.

*Verdict: True. While you are still fully-able to sell products not related to any area of finance (I.E. Cars, Furniture, Etc.) you are prohibited to sell any financial products while an agent with PFS. HOWEVER, don’t let this guy make you think that is a PFS-only rule. The ENTIRE INDUSTRY is like that. Case in point, while an agent with PFS, no bank will hire you, no insurance company will hire you, no investment firm with hire you… it’s called a ‘Conflict of interest’, and for those of you I need to explain the laws to, this is industry standard.

2. You only have one company to work with Citigroup…… why not allow you to use any company you want …. There are companies that do.

*Verdict: True and False. While it is true you can only market the products of Citi subsidiaries, it’s completely FALSE to say other companies allow you to market the products of another company in the same field.

What you CAN do is work for a referral agency, which basically means you don’t even have a license, but you refer clients to agents who do have a license, and you receive a referral ‘fee’ as your commission. That’s good and all… and you can do very will with those agencies, but referral agencies don’t market… they REFER. Big difference. Don’t confuse their liberties to work with multiple companies as a referral service and the inability to work for another financial company as a marketing service.

3. You have to give up a “leg” (your MOST productive team) to become an RVP …. Why not let them become an RVP AND keep their whole team ….. Other companies do it

*Verdict: True. This is completely true. To promote to an RVP status and open your own office, you must give up your most productive sales manager. However, a couple things to note here:

Most companies don’t require you to do that, but WILL require you to drop several thousand (often in the 6-figures) in ‘franchise fees’ before you open your own office. Sure, you keep your entire sales force… but don’t kid yourself, you pay for that office in one form or another.

Secondly, again, this is a situation with PFS where if they DIDN’T do it that way, they’d be flamed, also. People think it’s unfair when one person (say, an RVP) makes a lot of money sitting on his *** from his super-productive sales force. Aside from my opening argument point three, if an RVP WASN’T required to give up his most-productive sales manager, this would breed more of an environment for laziness.

If a soon-to-be RVP had only one really-productive sales manager, how easy would it be for him to coast on the efforts of his one strong manager? If you really want to get technical, it’s the lack of a system like this that leads to a lot of laziness in the branch managers and office managers with other financial firms… because the really good sales managers make a lot of money for their office managers, but cannot afford the franchise fees to go out on their own.

4. Hear me when I say this!!!! YOU DO NOT OWN YOUR BUSINESS!!!!! Don’t believe me … ask your RVP if you move to a different company can you take your clients or team with you ….. you will find out real quick … read your IBA it says it in your IBA .. your RVP owns your business … you do not own your business until you are a Senior Vice President AND have had 5 years of at least 3% growth. … Until then your RVP owns your business … even after you become an RVP…… there are other companies that allow you to take your clients with you.

*Verdict: True and False. Completely true. For compliance reasons, you have to become an RVP for five years (I can neither confirm or deny the 3% growth stat) before you own your business. However, once again, if we didn’t do it that way, I’m sure there’d be just as much hate mail from those burned by newly-appointed RVPs. PFS takes their offices very seriously, and makes sure to maintain a certain level of accountability and watchfulness on new offices.

It is false that other companies will let you take your clients with you. I know this from first-hand experience with my former State Farm agents. Virtually all companies have you sign a contract that prohibits you from soliciting a former client for the first three years after you begin working with a different company.

5. I will preface this comment …. I am a huge believer in recruiting ….. I love recruiting and I am good at it …. BUT you should not have to be forced to recruit to be promoted … you should have the choice to work yourself or recruit and have the same opportunity … America is about choice.

*Verdict: True. I wish you could earn more promotions than you can without bringing new sales associates on board. I don’t know how valid the ‘America is about choice’ line is after all the ‘It’s unfair that people make money off of other people’s sales’ line… because American is ALSO about Capitalism.

But this is true, nevertheless. I won’t shy away from it. I wish it were different, and that you could earn promotions based solely on your own efforts… it’s simply not set up that way. Okay, so that’s one valid point in… how many? Twenty? Moving on…

6. Your Securities (investment) commission is HORRIBLE….. there is NO WAY you could live on it alone .. add it up.

*Verdict: False. In the first three or five years? Probably not… but to say there’s no way, when so MANY agents are doing just that… false. I may not make a substantial amount on securities, but I make enough every month to pay for my mortgage. And how exactly do you define “Horrible”? Horrible it may be if this was your full-time job… but remember a lot of intelligent, competent people work for PFS on a part-time basis… so a mortgage payment every month may not feel so horrible to them.

7. You IBA has a non-compete clause in it …. Which means try to leave for something better … see how nasty your old “friends” get.

*Verdict: False. I have former agents who decided PFS just wasn’t for him. He’s still my friend… he still calls me for questions and advice. Furthermore, there’s nothing in the IBA that states, “If you leave, everyone will hate you.” I don’t even know how this statement even resembles am intelligent argument.

8. You have to be full time to become RVP …. Do you forget some people like their job … pastors, teachers (I know the company was started by teachers … but you fail to realize A.L. Williams was a different company then Primerica) or anyone else that would like to keep their job.

*Verdict: True. God, looking at these arguments objectively, you have to admire the creativity of dancing around the hypocrisy. How many financial firms allow an agent to work part-time AND own an office? Let me check my figures… oh, that’s right: NONE. It’s a COMPLIANCE ISSUE.

Anyone is allowed to maintain a part-time contract and continue their full-time job, barring of course it is not related to the financial industry. And we have a lot of agents who do just that. But, again… if we DIDN’T do that, how much worse would things be? “So, let me get this straight… you own and manager a financial office, although you teach school 35 hours a week?!”

AGAIN, I repeat, Primerica cares a great deal for compliance and its reputation. Of course PFS is not going to allow a part-time ownership of a OFFICE. This argument is raw stupidity.

9. As an RVP you are required to get an office … again I like having an office but some people do not want the overhead … why make them pay it?

*Verdict: True. Is it just me, or are these arguments getting stupider? Yes, ***… we’re going to make an RVP get an office. We’re NOT going to let an RVP work out of his basement. Again, how many other financial companies work outside an office?! Ever go to someone’s house to get a loan, or purchase an investment? Ever buy insurance out of the back of a car?! Pure, concentrated stupidity.

10. You can be “Rolled Back” which means lose the promotions that you have received and the commission levels at your RVPs discretion …. Not enough production, illness, or because your RVP wants to teach you a lesson.

*Verdict: True and False. Yes, you can lose a promotion or even lose your status as an agent with the company if you violate compliance, do something illegal, have a poor quality of business, or practice poor ethics. NO, you can’t be ‘rolled back’ just for the *** of it to get a laugh out of the guys at our home office. Again, all financial firms are set up that way… and none of them can demote you just because they’re having a bad day.

11. Some people do not like the risk of the market …. You can not sell a fixed / index annuities …. Most of you don’t know what that is … don’t worry I didn’t either when I was there … trust me your hurting some of your clients by not having access to it.

*Verdict: Fuzzy. This is almost like the cash value argument, but this one has a *little* more substance. I will allow a point to be made PFS could expand its marketable product line to include Fixed Annuities, but it’s a rare situation a client will need them… not so impossibly-rare as the if-the-stars-align situations that would warrant a need for cash value insurance, but still pretty rare.

So, yes, perhaps we could carry them for that .01% of our clients who would actually need them.

12. What happens when you have a recruit at your same commission level … you 2 are at the same level you get no override …. Doesn’t that make you want to keep people below you … not push them up…..Some companies will still reward you even when you are at the same level

*Verdict: True. While you will not receive a paycheck for the actual sale, it WILL count for all purposed towards bonuses, contests, and promotions. Secondly, I do NOT know of any company that will pay two agents at the same contract level for a single sales transaction. Many will, however, count that sale towards bonuses, contests, and promotions… JUST LIKE PFS.

13. A brand new person starts at 25% ……. They can do all the work (and you know as well as I do … getting a warm referral is most the work … so don’t tell me because you did a flip chart presentation you did most the work) and they only get 25% ….. the RVP get 95% …. So the RVP get 70% of something … they may not have been there for….. doesn’t sound fair … I thought Primerica did what was right “100% of the time”

*Verdict: True. Hmm… sounds a lot like ANY agent-broker system in North America to me. Why is it PFS is getting the ‘bad guy’ status on this one? Refer to point three of my opening argument. Take a look at ANY corporate job in America. Then, after you have these facts down, shut the *** up. Is it fair the owner of the place I formerly worked benefited from an entire staff trained by me, and all I got out of the deal was a $0.25 an hour raise? No. Wipe your tears and quit crying. As stated before, the RVP has overhead… the RVP has compliance responsibilities. I’m pretty sure they’re entitled to SOMETHING. But it seems the only people who *** and moan about how unfair capitalism is are the people on the bottom… be it PFS, or any job in America. I’m sure you’d *** a LOT less if you actually WERE the CEO of a major company, and you realize just how much stress goes with that job.

14. Let’s say Primerica goes out of business (don’t believe it … check out ENRON, Bear Stearns, and Citigroup…. And read the Wall Street Journal article I reference above) ….. your contract and license is with Primerica … what do you then? … because I already explained to you … YOU DON’T OWN IT

*Verdict: True. Hey, if you think the largest financial marketing organization in North America is going to go out of business… if you think the main marketing branch for the largest financial company on the planet is going to go out of business… if you think Citi, which is solely responsible for more six-figure earners than any other single company in North America is going to go out of business, you’re either too much of an *** or a pessimist I DON’T WANT YOU REPRESENTING MY COMPANY. Take a look at where you currently work… take a look at your company’s assets… where you currently work likely has a MUCH, MUCH greater chance of going under than Citi ever will… yet you work for them?

15. Do you like paying for POL, Call Atlanta, marketing material, leadership school, and training (hype sessions) …. Most companies give that stuff out free

*Verdict: True. In the future, however, I would put money on POL being free. As for right now, it is a substantial educational website and a massive business-tracking database, and with the ENTIRE INDUSTRY pushing towards paperless, it’s a big expense in a short period of time. Some companies offer these services for free; some companies charge hundreds of dollars a month. Sure, I’d love it if POL was free, but $25 a month… come on. That’s a single transaction of anything we market. It’s not a big deal. CallAtlanta is wrapped up into that cost.

Also, if you examine the RVP contract, which this poster claims to have done so well, you’ll note as part of the RVP full-time contract, it specifically FORBIDS monetarily profiting from ANY group function or event. This is a strict rule enforced by the Primerica, and RVPs who have turned a profit by conducting group events (it has happened in the past) have been TERMINATED for it. So don’t believe that the RVPs are making any form of profit from group events. They charge just enough to cover renting the building, and paying for plane tickets and hotel rooms for all the speakers… that’s it.

16. DO YOU LIKE CHARGEBACKS?????!!!!! …. Come on of all things I know you are tired of … we have to agree on chargebacks ….. for those that don’t know what a chargeback is: the agent turns in the paperwork to Primerica and is immediately paid …. But the policy is not issued which means if the client changes their mind, finds something cheaper, does not qualify, drags their feet on blood work, stops paying or for any reason does not get or continue the policy …. Primerica wants their money back ….. which means they take it out of the next check or the next one or the next one which means you are running up an escalator and YOU KNOW IT …. Sorry to give out the dirty little secret but you can not say you like the CHARGEBACK …. Again not all companies get those and NO company gives them out as much as Primerica

*Verdict: True and False. No company gives out as many chargebacks as PFS… of course, refer to point two in my opening argument. This line of work often requires extensive follow-up… most people lack the work ethic or responsibility needed for this. Case in point: A lot of people who shouldn’t be in PFS still write business, and their Quality of Business sucks.

I, personally, have only received one chargeback during my entire career. Sure, they suck… but it’s a LIE to say other companies will let you keep the money from a sale that backs out. NO FINANCIAL SALES position in North America will let you keep money from a canceled sale. None of them do that. That’s a great way for a company to lose money.

And if there IS such a business, then go work for them, and see how many canceled sales you can turn in each month. See how long that works out for you.

Chargebacks suck, but they are a part of EVERY sales position. A major reason we have so many in PFS is because we’re writing so much more business. And the skilled sales managers get very few of them.

17. Most people become disable before they die …. You can’t sell disability insurance or you will be fired … hurting your clients again

*Verdict: True. Again, bring up compliance issues like we’re some uniquely-cruel marketing Nazi. This is a COMPLIANCE ISSUE. ALL COMPANIES ARE LIKE THIS. You cannot sell insurance when you work as an investment-only broker, you cannot sell mortgages when you work as an insurance-only broker. You cannot sell them on a train. You cannot sell them on a plane.

This is NOT a PFS-only rule. This would be considered ‘Selling Away’ and it’s ILLEGAL. You can recommend a client to look into getting disability insurance, but you can make no specific recommendations.

18. What about health insurance … again .. try to sell it and you will be fired (by the way … does it make sense that you can be fired from your own business?)

*Verdict: True… and repetitive. Just read above… this is getting tiring. And, as previously noted, you don’t own your business until after you’ve held a successful office for five years for COMPLIANCE.

19. Critical care …. What if you client gets cancer … or do have insurance for that …. Nope …. Fired Again … By the way before you say it …. Most life insurance has accelerated death benefit …. So Primerica not special with that.

*Verdict: (yawn) Yeah. It’s True. It’s Compliance. If you wanted to work with an insurance-only company, you can do that… but then no investments or loans for you.

As a note, many companies only started to have the Accelerated Death Benefit rider AFTER PFS had had it on their policies for some time.

20. Make sure you check with Primerica before you do ANYTHING if they don’t like it they can terminate you (read your IBA) … sounds like a JOB to me .. I’d rather be independent…… the sad part is most don’t know you can be ….

*Verdict: True. But, again, just like with the RVP ‘roll-back’, you can’t be terminated ‘for the *** of it’. You MUST have committed an act that was either a compliance issue or an illegal activity… If it sounds like a job because the company’s going to terminate those that commit fraudulent, illegal, or non-compliant activities… then, I guess, yeah… you got us.

AGAIN, if we DIDN’T have those clauses… if we DIDN’T terminate those committing these activities… how responsible would we be as a company, and how much more would there be to complain about?

The case in point, being as forward and openly-honest that is in my ability, most of what this poster has said is complete ***. Much of it lacks logical reasoning, and much of his points are industry standards he has twisted to make it sound like PFS has some unique set of unreasonable rules.

I really expected more of a fight from this poster’s numbered list of arguments, but after a closer examination, it turns out a vast majority of his ‘arguments’ are completely void of intelligent thought and common reasoning.

Again, I’d urge you to do your own research… primarily from websites that carry higher credentials and are much more legitimate sources of information.

Look up dollar cost averaging, and see what the experts say. See what the experts say about Cash Value life insurance. And, moreover, don’t be so quick to forget just how monitored Primerica really is… from the mortgage industry, the insurance industry, and the investments industry.

Well I just got called for an interview from Primerica today... and considering all the reviews I've read so far...

I think I'd rather sit at home for the 2-3 hours and look for jobs (be productive) than get myself into a messy job with a horrible rep!

yea the rep is so horrible honestly it makes me wonder how people working there can work confidently?? :?

Primericans are funny.

If any of you have children, have you ever watch them do something ***. And you know it is *** because you did the same thing before when you were their age. And you tell them don’t do it because they will regret it. And they don’t listen to you because “they know better”. And so you watch them fall on their face and all you can say is “I told you so” and laugh.

You see Primerica agents I have been where you are, I was at Primerica for 3 years. And when I left I was the top producer in ALL categories in my state. So we can get these out the way:

1. It is not a pyramid scheme

2. I believe in working hard

3. I don’t like Corporate America

Now I want you to take a hard look at the truth. You ARE selling a scam. You may not know it, and I believe that most of you don’t. The unfortunate thing is once I tell you this you will NEVER get that $100,000 Ring that you covet because the most of the people that join Primerica are good people that think they are doing the right thing and for the most part you are, but to get that Ring after knowing the information I am about to share with you, you will have to become a different person, one that is more about making money rather then helping people. Once I found out this info, I refused to continue to sell that scam anymore and turned away from all the money I was making.

Here goes:

Let’s look products you sell to the client:

3. Why can’t a new recruit go get your licenses BEFORE you sign your IBA?

Now on to the IBA…. The moment you sign your IBA these things happen:

16. DO YOU LIKE CHARGEBACKS?????!!!!! …. Come on of all things I know you are tired of … we have to agree on chargebacks ….. for those that don’t know what a chargeback is: the agent turns in the paperwork to Primerica and is immediately paid …. But the policy is not issued which means if the client changes their mind, finds something cheaper, does not qualify, drags their feet on blood work, stops paying or for any reason does not get or continue the policy …. Primerica wants their money back ….. which means they take it out of the next check or the next one or the next one which means you are running up an escalator and YOU KNOW IT …. Sorry to give out the dirty little but you can not say you like the CHARGEBACK …. Again not all companies get those and NO company gives them out as much as Primerica

Listen … I wrote this for the person I was before I left Primerica hopefully that person is reading this and just starting to open your eyes a little bit and ask some questions that they didn’t have before…. I don’t hate Primerica … I don’t hate the people in Primerica … but you don’t know everything about the company ….. and I can almost guarantee you didn’t read or understand the IBA you signed. And if you don’t open your eyes and figure it out …. You are going to hurt some people and your going to hurt your family. Think about it … don’t try to argue with it just read it and find out if everything I said is true …. Don’t believe me READ YOUR IBA. I was you before I found out all of this stuff. The question is “Once an honest person knows the truth, he/she has 2 choices, continue to be honest and change their current course of action or cease to be an honest person”. I will gladly talk to you here about it and answer any comments, questions or disagreements you have.

This is for David in Florida...If you read may of the comments you will see that many, many people worked for the business and experienced Primerica. It really doesnt work for about 95% of the people.

The reason why is that you have to prospect and recruit. Most people don't have or want those skills.

It is uncomforable to do that and most people you talk to about the business want a salaried jobs and not a commission one. So most of the complaints are legit and somewhere along the line you will find a person that loves the business and does well but most of the time it is far and few between....Good luck!

I notice 90% of complaints are from people who never even worked for primerica, they complain because they didnt like what the rep had to say when offering them the opprotunity to work as a primerica rep. So basically we are suppose to listen to people who havent even had any experience working for primerica?

Look up ( fill in the blank) scam and u will find many complaints about any company or product but if u take time to look up facts about primerica u will find its a very respectable company. These complaints come from people who were expecting a formal job interview where they are offered a " steady" job with a standard 2 weeks pay. When they realize its a buisiness opprotunity that translates to " financial independance" they are upset and rant online.

If you arent afraid to be in control of your income and your disiplined enough to have your own buisiness then primerica is a great company to work with and represent. If you want a standard 9-5 and work for a boss or the "safe and easier" approach to income then i suggest you spend less time blogging complaints online and spend those few hours working for your boss, you will need the money later on.....

:zzz :x

The best thing in the world and has definatly changed my families life. I am more excited everyday to be part of something so awesome.

Primerica isnt a scam but they are invasive when it comes to information you want when you decide to join the opportunity. It is a prospect and recruiting opportunity and not many people posess that skill.

It will be your own business so you dont get paid unless you hire people to do the work for you or do the work yourself. There are few and far between that make a lot of money and very little who make a small to medium amount of money.

And most who make no money. Use this opportunity as a part time income and get a full time job so you can pay your bills and dont get into debt.

Hey all,

I currently work with Primerica and have been for a year. This in no way shape or form is a scam.

It is a great way to earn an extra income and help families at the same time. It is what you make of it. People who lack the drive for success and want life in the palm of their hands are the major critics. These are individuals who prefer the norm of working shifty hours for someone else and having others dictate when they get paid, how often they can take a vacation, whether or not you receive benefits.

For myself and my husband we love this, I got into the business because Primerica helped me and my family. If you have doubts my suggestion would be to see what they can do for you and your family

:? we just joined and we are kind of puzzled since we seen all these comments about primerica i wanna know if its really good or not please let us know if its a good thing or not arsmerleonard@yahoo.com