San Antonio, Texas

I've read just a little of the Primerica complaints and some of them are really out there. I am a Primerica rep (actually a District Leader), I do this part-time and I've been with the company for almost a year. This is what has been my experience so far.

I went to an "opp meeting" also described here as a ra ra meeting and I liked what I heard. They talked about helping people and gave stats about the debt crisis and about the difference between cash value vs term. They gave an example of what they did for a particular client and what you would be paid for those services if it were you doing it. I liked what I saw and I decided to try it.

I have been a police officer for almost 10 years. When I started, I was making $36,000 and now I'm at $53,000. It's not a lot, but it's pretty decent here where I live, especially if you consider that I don't have a college degree. Still, as a police officer, the most I'll ever make is about $75,000, unless I became the chief of police, which would get me close to $100,000, but I don't want to be chief. So, it's not a lot of money just like most other salary jobs.

So when I found out that I could get started with Primerica for roughly $300, I thought, "I spent more than that on my XBOX 360 Elite," and I still spend at least $100 a month on movies and games. I say $300 because it's $99 for your application and pre-licensing (with study materials for the life insurance exam). It's about another $100 for the exam and fingerprint fees, which get reimbursed if you pass your exam, and it's another $99 for your mortgage license. I also pay $25 a month for my online access, which is how I submit my life and mortgage applications (paperless baby, yeah!!).

So I signed up in September of last year and by November, I was life and mortgage licensed. In less than a month after that, I made my money back almost three times, so no scam there. Nobody withholds commissions. You can't get paid until you're licensed, but once you are, you can make money.

I was never told or guaranteed that I would make any certain amount of money. I don't believe and was never told that we have the cheapest term life insurance. I dont believe and was never told that our mortgages were the best out there. I do believe, however, that we help put people in a better situation than the one they are currently in. That's all we try to do. We try to give people information that they didn't have before so they can make better choices. We try to get them out of debt as soon as possible. We encourage our clients to get rid of their credit cards altogether. Are there better companies out there? Maybe there are. Are there better products out there than ours? Maybe there are. I don't know about everything that's out there. But I believe in our concepts and I share them with my clients: Buy Term and Invest the Difference, The Theory of Decreasing Responsibility, The Rule of 72. That's all. We try to help. I am happy to say that I've had nothing but satisfied clients so far.

Recruiting: Yes, we recruit people. You don't have to recruit if you don't want to, but if you want to promote yourself, you HAVE to recruit. Promotions give you a bigger commission percentage, meaning more money. I want more money. Also, if you recruit people, you make a small commission from their sales as well. That is why we offer the Primerica opportunity to everybody. Also, extra income would solve a lot of people's financial problems (the main reason I joined).

Unfortunately, people use all kinds of tactics to get people to come to the meetings and to get them to join, which in many cases, turns people off and leaves then with a bad taste in their mouth about Primerica, but not all Primerica agents are the same. Actually, Primerica agents are VERY diverse. I personally recruit people only when they ask about it, usually after I did a loan or a life insurance application. They know I am a police officer so they are curious as to why I do this and how much I make for it. When I explain, they usually think the same think I did when I joined, which is "not bad" or "why not give it a try?"

Don't get me wrong. This is not for everybody. Out of 100 people that join, 80 will not even get licensed and drop out. Why? There's many reasons. The biggest one is that it's not easy. It is hard. It takes work. It takes time. A LOT of people don't make it here because of 2 MAJOR things, fear of failure and fear of rejection. They are worried about people will think if they fail. They will get discouraged at the first "No" or "Not interested" and they will take it personally and that will be the end of that. It's hard. But I believe it's worth it. Also, if everybody did it and was successful, it wouldn't be an opportunity. This is definitely not for sensitive people, people that don't like people, and definitely not for whiners.

Finally, this is a business opportunity. It is NOT A JOB. You don't get benefits, medical, dental, health insurance. You don't get sick leave and vacation hours either. This is not a job. You are an independent financial services agent and you work on 100% commission.

So far, I've made about $12,000 doing this since last November. It's not a lot, but it's very good extra income if you factor in what I am doing for it.

Finally, Primerica is not a scam. Yes, the compensation IS MLM. MLM is not illegal. Pyramid schemes are illegal. What's the difference? The only difference is that in a pyramid scheme, there is no product or service involved. We market financial products and services. We are not required to buy Primerica products ourselves. People, common sense. The financial services industry is highly regulated. Primerica would not be around for 30 years if it were a scam. And if it is a scam, I guess the joke is on Primerica cause so far I have scammed them out of like $11,700!

Hope this helps.

Comments

Right on Brother.

Primerica's founder, Arthur L Williams opened the world of Financial Planning to average, hard-working Americans, as well as giving Americans the opportunity to start part-time in building a company and financial independence.

Hello Gilbert!

I really appreciate your post and honesty! This looks to have been posted in 2008.

Are you still with Primerica? How has your Primerica business been from 2008 to now? I appreciate whatever information you may give.

Inbox me on FB @ www.facebook.com/DeirdreCunningham if you prefer. Thank You!

Great post! An objective angle, from someone that took the time to get licensed, and proved it works..

if you do. Many people want something for nothing, and say it doesn't work (when they don't get licensed, or go on appointments, or...). Be careful who or what you listen to.

There isn't a better Opportunity out there for anyone from any background.. Just do it!

He forgot to mention that you have to have an asset to spend in order to reap the all the benefits primerica offers. He talks about being a leader and willing to learn and train but in order for you to be license and obtain clients, you have to be will g to spend time and most importantly money.

Many people do not have access to these requirements so the seek normal jobs tha pay a base salary guaranteed.

I want to say that Primerica is not a scam but the way the representatives portray themselves through loop holes and ignoring the main requirements of the position just to get you for an interview is shady.

A legit company will straight up tell you what the job entails and ask you of an interview unlike Primerica who give a whole background just to entice and try to get you to meet up with them. They know that if they straight up tell you Hattie job is then you will nt wh it.

JUST FOR KICKS

32y/o non-smoker female, 30 yr term, $250K

Primerica: $39.90 ( I don't know why we don't have different rates for females, hmmmm)

Primerica would be #29 out of 41. The cheapest is Western Reserve Life. at $29.97, the last Western South Life Assurance at $55.86, so we are $10 more than the cheapest, $15 less than the most expensive. Right in the middle of the road I guess.

Thank you for the compliment. I do consider myself open-minded. And you're exactly right - I am with Primerica because they are the first that approached me. And the only thing that not having heard of all those A+ companies says is that I am not very familiar with this industry. Again, none of those have a presence where I live. I am sure they are great companies, but I like everything about Primerica, even though we are not the cheapest. I don't know how to explain it. Primerica kinda pushed my dream button and I have a sort of emotional attachment to them. Whatever level of success (big or small) I reach, I want to do it in Primerica. That may sound *** to some of you. I even like the sound of our name better than most all of those companies, lol.

@GilbertRinTX

you can say cheapest, or middle of the road. Do those other companies guarantee you'll qualify for your next term policy without a physical?

Do they pay our Soldiers during a war?

(many don't)

Do they pay 40(?)% of your death benefit back to you if your Dr states your terminal? compare apples and apples..

Oh, I also wanted to ask if after all the info I put up, all you could come up with is "nice try"?

You have to give me some credit for being willing to compare rates with the best companies out there and posting them here, for better of for worse. I am happy I got the results I got, because had the results not been what they were, I might have started second-guessing Primerica and actually believeing you people. Thanks again.

Please say something more than "nice try."

Ok I got bored.

Just for you, again I'm running companies at least A+.

32 y/o SMOKER, 30 year term, $250K

Primerica: $73.39

Guess what? Primerica would be #1 out of 41. #2 is West. Res. Life at $76.34.

32 y/o Preferred Plus male , 30 yr., $250K

Primerica : $27.55

Primerica would be #36 out of 49. #1 is Savings Bank Life at $20.01. So Primerica is $7 dollars more expensive, still not the MOST expensive, and certainly not 50% more expensive. The range here is $20.01 to $29.53, 50 companies within a difference of $9.52. Still pretty good I think.

32 y/o female, smoker, 30 yr, $250K

Primerica: $73.39 ( Same as male- don't have option on my palm for female)

Primerica would be #10 out of 41. #1 is Transamerica Life at $56.44 (Really good). The last is United of Omaha Life at $120.37 (not so much).

So, there you have it. Like I stressed before, I have never said Primerica is the cheapest, but once again, this proves that we are right in the mix and are definitely a solid company with very competitive rates. And yes, I will have this at my Saturday hype meeting. I had never bothered to look at other companies' rates. Thanks for the site.

Nice try? I ran it ONCE and I ran it like that because that's what I am, a 32 year old non-smoker and I was curious if what you say about Primerica being so expensive was true.

I have satisfied my curiosity.

If you would like to run more scenarios, go right ahead and I'll be happy to give you a quote. I don't really want to waste more time trying to prove to other people that Primerica is a good company.

Maybe I will though, if I get really bored.

You Primerica people are suppose to be honest at all times right?

Also be honest how many times did you have to run it.

Why don't you run some other scenerios .... females, smokers, and preferred plus ... etc

Show all those during your Saturday hype session ... I mean training.

Well thank you sir,

I'm ecstatic to report that I did check out the site term4sale.com (never heard of it). I requested a monthly premium comparison for a 32 year old non-smoker (regular/standard), 30 year term for $250,000. I got a quote from my palm device first, and the Primerica monthly premium for those terms is $39.90.

I requested a comparison between companies with a minimum A.M.Best rating of A+, which is the Primerica rating and the comparison generated 41 results.

If Primerica ($39.90) was on that comparison list, we would be ranked #7 out of 41 A+ companies. The cheapest is Savings Bank Life Insurance at $37.41, followed by Protective Life, West Coast Life, Western Reserve Life Assurance (these three at $38.72), Banner Life (38.94) and TransAmerica Life ($39.16). I have never heard of any of these companies ADVANTAGE: ME.

Sooooooo, 6 out of 41 A+ companies have better rates (3 of those have the same rate) than Primerica. That's pretty *** good! We're less than $3 more than the lowest price on that list! Doesn't sound like Primerica term rates are 50% higher, do they? Does that mean that Lincoln Benefit Life at $57.53 is over 100% higher than other companies? Massachussetts Mutual Life A++ at $70.69?

So, even though there ARE a few cheaper companies, there are A LOT that are more expensive (and lesser known). I've never seen or heard of them and I THINK that most people who buy term want to buy it from a person they know and trust, face to face, and not from a generic website like term4sale.com. Advantage: ME.

Thank you for re-enforcing my belief that Primerica term is extremely competitive, you gave me proof. I will show this spreadsheet at my next training. How do you like them apples?

Well thank you sir,

As for the 50% higher rates for term, I think that may be an exaggeration. Again, here where I live, people that have term insurance have it mainly through AllState, State Farm and Farmers.

Those are the big cheese companies here. Primerica has better rates than all three of those for term, I got quotes. I tried to get quotes from MetLife, New York Life and Prudential, but they wouldn't give me one unless I made an appointment (lame).

One of my co-workers had a policy with Farmers.

He is a 29 y/o non-smoker with high blood pressure (controlled). He was paying them $41 for $150,000 (30 yr. term), and that's WITH a discount cause he had his life,home and auto insurance with them. I was able to get him $300,000 (30 yr.

term) for $44. I doubled his protection for $3 more. Did I help him? I think I did.

Is he happy? I guess, I got 2 referrals from him.

Again, I'm sure there are cheaper companies out there, but I have never heard of them and apparently, neither have any of my clients.

One of my co-workers had a policy with Farmers.

Is he happy? I guess, I got 2 referrals from him.

Once again, I never said that SMART is the best product out there, or even one of. For me, this is what I know:

1) Yes, I know that most of the time, the interest rate is 1-2% higher than what they currently have, BUT if you look at the total cost, when the numbers work out, we are usually tens of thousands of dollars less, even at the higher rate.

So I'll put it this way:

Would you like to get a mortgage at a 6% rate, pay it in 30 years and it will cost you $380,000.

OR

Would you get a mortgage at an 8% rate, you pay it in 22 years and it will cost you $325,000.

That's what we do when everything works out. Did we save the client money? Yeah, 55K in this example. Does it always work? NO. But it is a thing of beauty when it does.

2) Our closing costs are lower than the industry average and certainly lower than what I see from lenders where I live.

3) I don't agree with the pre-payment penalty, but it's there. Also, we try to make this the last loan that the client will ever need, so it has never been an issue for me.

What I personally try to do through SMART is this:

1) Keep the payment the same (or less)

2) Consolidate as much debt as possible

3) Get the loan paid off years faster than their current program

Obviously, If I could do what I do with a lower rate, yeah it would be great and cost less, but this IS a business.

You can call it whatever you want, but as long as I can do those three things, I feel I have helped that client a great deal.

#41936

The tangible benefit is standard in the industry. Anyway, what makes you really believe your company wants to "help" the consumer by allowing bi-weekly payments? Is it the inflated interest rate? Is it the 50% higher term insurance rates? Or is it the heavily loaded funds offered by PFS?

Of course those are all rhetorical questions, but please answer this one:

Why the smoke n mirrors? Why not simply give them a standard rate mortgage? Again, I've studied the SMART loan and promise you that your clients can SAVE BIG money doing a normal loan without the ridiculous closing costs or pre-payment penalty.

Nextaxpro, your theory that I have had expenses of $6000-$9000 is really inaccurate. I said it was $300. I guess if I try to factor in gas when I went to test and all the meetings, maybe it goes up to $500. And these expenses were paid for before I earned my first commission, which I kept.

Also, it is possible to pay more per month on a mortgage and save $50,000 in interest. How? If you make bi-weekly payments. You pay more per year, but you SAVE thousands because you cut the loan term by 5-10 years. And that's not just Primerica, that's the benefit of paying bi-weekly with any mortgage company, but again, most lenders don't want the client to know this because it means less money for the lender. We at Primerica stress this program to our clients, because even if we are 2% higher on the interest, we save them money in comparison to their current program. We show the client the numbers, side by side, in black and white. It doesn't always work, and it if it's not in the clients best interest, we DONT DO IT. As a matter-of-fact, our bank WILL NOT allow us to close that loan unless we can establish what's called A TANGIBLE BENEFIT.

Also, I guess that you're one of those really out there religious fanatics, which is fine. Your call in life is to expose evil? Im sure there is a lot more evil to expose in your hometown than in internet sites, but whatever works for you I guess. I have to say that your Primerica commandments are waaaaaaaaay off it's not even funny. Well, actually it is kind of funny.

1) $25 do not get stolen every month from your account. You sign up for it (optional) if you want online access to news, training, and business tracking. Also, if you work off a PDA like I do, you have to have online access to submit life insurance and mortgage applications. So Primerica doesnt STEAL $25 for no reason brother.

2) You don't HAVE to recruit, but it is to your benefit to do so. If you want bigger commissions, promotions and overrides, you have to recruit and train people. This is also OPTIONAL.

3) You don't HAVE to buy Primerica products. Of course, if you're telling people about the importance of life insurance and about term vs. cash value, then your message is more believable if you practice what you preach. Again, it IS NOT required.

4) Chargebacks happen when the policy premium is not paid for 1 year. If the client cancels for whatever reason, you get charged the amount that was advanced to you for that policy. This is true for all insurance companies that I know of.

I'm going to stop here, but it is clear to me that you don't know what you are talking about. Primerica is a great opportunity for ANYONE to enter the financial services industry and do something great with their lives. It's an OPPORTUNITY, it is NOT A JOB.

Hey Nextaxpro

Once again, you write before you know. I did not write that it takes 3.5 years for the uplines to get their overrides.

I wrote that it takes 3.5 years before the company (Primerica) sees a penny of return for themselves because they are obligated to pay commissions through 6 generations. Also, we will cater to any demographic, but we cater to the people who need our services the most which happens to be the middle class. And your statement about overrides to 6 levels and what about the recruits on levels below that? Well, you obviously don't really know how it works in 2008.

I must remember that you are in a time warp, still living in the early 90's. The commissions go the person who made the transaction and to the 6 people above him (his upline). The whole point for everybody is to be able to live off of the overrides one day and be financially independent and be able to do what you want when you want with enough money in your bank accounts to never have to think twice again about anything financial. Vacation anytime you want, work the hours that you want, God forbid, become sick or disabled and know that checks will still be coming in forever.

How's about leaving a substantial fortune and legacy to your children and family. And by the way, stop copying and pasting those redundant same "10 Commandments of Primerica" that you like to post on almost every thread that you visit and respond to.

It's lame already. You know, if you took the incredible amount of energy that you utilize to create all these articles and responses that you feel the need to do when your baby kicks in, and channelled it into your own career based on your dreams and goals you would actually be extremely successful.

"4 - I hate cash value life insurance. I know that are no situations wherewith it can be useful"

My guess is you're an enrolled agent at H&R Block, hardly an expert tax preparer. If you even had a clue about preparing taxes, you'd know of just one reason for cash value life insurance.

Buffoon--- now go to church and read your bible.

Exceldent, if you are going to write the words of your abundantly filthy heart, don't post. What's in your heart comes out of your mouth. So if you are in the right, you don't have to spew out filthy, obscene words that you would never say in the presence of your grandmother. You are what your tongue says. The words you uttered were usually obvious, hence refrain from since sewage.

All right; I will take the time to address the pretty good points you may have made.

- All right, 12000 since last November. Hopefully, you are familar with the business. You do a lot of driving, even before you get licensed. And there's a lot of other expenses BEFORE you can even KEEP your first commission. So, assuming he's telling the truth, he made between 3000 and 6000, depending upon his expenses (6000 to 9000). He's still in plus territory, which is better than 98%. but 273 per month isn't so great. I hope we are agreed on that much.

- You made the statement that you provide the service to middle class families. Why not the poor and the rich? After all, when you were recruited, you were told it was a wide open market, just as I was told. E.g, the rich have a lot of universal life. If you get them out of that, they are in the forties, and they buy a large package from you, you get a larger commission, or, as you call it, an override.

- You say the company pays overrides to six levels. What about the recruits on levels below that?? You forget, Primerica, as A.L. Williams, Inc, prior, is an evil, fraudulent pyramid scheme!!!!

And what in Sam Hill do you mean that it takes 3.5 years for the upline to get their overrides, as you call them?

You forget about the testimonials of lazy uplines at Primerica! Why are they lazy? They are living off of YOU, their downline. They skim off the top BEFORE you see your crumbs off the table. Why do you think dozens of people have begged YOU to take a job with a REAL life insurance corporation? Prove what you say. No one has ever seen the sheets drawn up showing who get paid. That's why I demanded honest disclosure in my treatise? Make sense to you?

- Thou shalt not bear false witness. Do you think Primerica is going to pay 100% for your books, courses and exam? You are a CUSTOMER, remember? And a lot of these guys are *** drunkards, thieves and so on that were recruited in malls and via ads on phone poles, bus stops, etc. You know it and I know it.

-How do you pay more and still save money? That's obviously a contradiction in terms. And every one knows Primerica is higher in all their packages and 2% interest points higher is an outrage!!

MY STATEMENTS OF FACT:

1 - I don't hate Primerica apologists. I hate the sin that they do.

2 - I don't hate my former rvp. I hate the sin that she does.

3 - I am an expert income tax preparer and a consultant in several fields, including death {misnamed life} insurance. My call in life is to expose evil. Visit my websites for details.

4 - I hate cash value life insurance. I know that are no situations wherewith it can be useful. You are told at the rah-rah meetings at Primerica that cash value insurance is evil and that it is a dinosaur. But many of you do not know that your company sells some and you would not know how to refute a fast talking whole life agent when they spew out their great swelling words of vanity. This is because you do not understand the basic concept of death insurance, which is to bleed individuals and families, NOT to help them.

LET'S MAKE IT SIMPLE for those who do not read have time to read all of this expose for the present. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FROM PRIMERICA'S VIEW:

Would you work in the following scenario? You go to work in an office after being told "you really fit this position. And it will be easy work, you will have lots of time with your family and you will make a tremendous amount of money". Firstly, you are told you will NOT be paid until you obtain a license. You say "nothing was said that you have to have a license to work here. And, you already have my SS number". Well, you were finally told AFTER the sleazy one got you all excited about making 50000, 100000 or even more{less than .005 do}. Secondly, you must "recruit" other workers so you can be paid. "What? What if I get five; they all get five; they get five? Where will all these workers fit? There's very limited space." You only hear: you must recruit, recruit, recruit.

Thirdly, AFTER you pay out of your own pocket for this license, you cannot earn money yet. "Why am I not allowed?! That's not fair. You said I can collect commissions and recruit after I pay for this license, pay for the preparation, pay the fee and pay all of my expenses to get it.

I'm having to go to the homeless shelter because I cannot meet my house payments" or "I cannot pay my rent". You hear a bunch of lies. This is to cover up the fact that you are not allowed commissions for a while. You see, your superiors {superiors? NO ONE whom is dishonest is superior to I. NO ONE.} - this upline - knows that you are going to hear the truth about Primerica. You will become very discouraged, very, very quickly. So your "superiors" have to hold something back to insure you remain in the trap that they have placed you in.

Fourthly, you are told {or may be NOT told and all the implications of that!} that YOU MUST HAVE $25 STOLEN FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY??! This is such a great opportunity and you are in a 10, 25, 50, 100, 200 or 500 billion dollar company, depending upon how large of a lie your so-called superior told to you. You haven't seen a check for well over a month now, but you have to allow Primerica to STEAL - that's precisely what it is - from you. And they do not tell you up front. This means that you will be clubbed for $25 to Lord knows how much, depending upon how many checks you wrote that bounced as a result, how dishonest your bank is and the fee your bank charges per returned check presented.

Fifthly, you are NOT vested in any profit sharing plan after one year of employment in this supposed 500 billion dollar corporation. Sixth, you are provided with NO life and health insurance after two or three months of employ, not even one with a large deductible. you are told that you MUST buy an insurance policy with this 500 billion dollar company!!! You must buy this policy as an EXAMPLE to all of your prospects, even though you supposedly have this secure job in an office where you are supposed to be making this huge salary and not have to waste $80 in gasoline per day trying to sway prospects and lying to potential recruits to get this downline!! You do the "hiring" for your superiors and they don't have to go to the expense of finding good help. But even though it's their fault, YOU still get the blame if your downline doesn't sell. And, in addition to that, it's not even the cheapest of policies!! Matter of fact, when you compare to other companies, you find that you are paying one of the

highest rates!! And you are forbidden from doing business with any other company! Further, you receive no discounts!!! You pay retail in this $500 billion company that should be insuring you and your family in gratitude for your putting in 80, 90, 100 hours/week worth of work attempting to get more "recruits" for the company!! Worse, you may already have a whole life policy that you are trapped in. It does not matter. You are told you MUST buy a policy with Primerica to make a good impression on all those customers you are supposedly going to convince to come on the Primerica merry-go-round. No lead sheets from a professional marketing firm nor anything a quarter of the way convincing is presented proving that you will have good possibility leads. Seventh, you can be demoted by your superior for any reason, including no reason. Your commission levels would be reduced, also. Eighth, when you become sick and tired of being treated unfairly, you have NO RECOURSE. You cannot go to the Department of

Labor for redress! Ninth, the commissions you make in this "office" can be taken away from you. If your purchasers find that your prices are too high, they change their mind, your company decides not to sell to a "sold" customer, a death in the family and a different CEO takes over - any of these things can cause you to have to take a "chargeback" - which means you have to give your commission and overrides back!! You are walking, then gaiting, then RUNNING, faster and faster just to fall farther and farther behind. You are TRIPLY whammed! In a real company, you get paid and your company refunds the money to unhappy customers. At this company, you not only do not get paid, and, when you make a commission, YOU and NOT your company, have to refund to a customer when the customer does not pay, etc. YOU did not receive your entitled commission when you were paid because you were skimmed to pay an upline. But when you have to take a chargeback, YOU pay the entire chargeback!! A triple blow!!

Tenth, you begin hearing that the prices of your companies product lines are too high. You do not believe it because you were told that we were the lowest. That's why you came to work for this glorious company. You begin doing your research in independent journals, trade journals, online, and so on and you find that ALL of your products are over-priced. Your company cannot compete. Not only that, you discover that your product line does not have the variety that your competitors have. Further, your line has some terrible products. WOULD YOU GO TO WORK FOR A COMPANY LIKE THIS? READ ON. THIS IS THE WAY IT WAS AT A.L. WILLIAMS, INC AND STILL IS AT PRIMERICA!